Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Oriental Obsession

I call this quilt Oriental Obsession.  It is one of the quilts that was on my UFO stack so I am one project closer to fulfilling my New Year's resolution.  There is a story behind the name of this quilt.
Several years ago I spotted this gorgeous fabric in a ginormous fabric store.  It called my name so loud that I heard over the other 10,000 bolts of fabric in this store.  That's no exaggeration!  Gruber's Quilt Shop has literally 10,000+ bolts of fabric.  I weaved my way past the many other fabrics that were teasing me and found my way to the rack where this fabric was displayed.

It was love at first sight and I HAD to have it.  The problem was, I had no idea what to do with a large print like this but I didn't let that stop me.  I purchased this focus fabric and a quarter yard of all of the coordinating fabrics.  A very helpful quilter suggested that I also purchase enough of a coordinating fabric for backing since I had no idea what I was going to make with it.  So I went home with my very first oriental print fabric.  The first thing I did was hang the focus fabric on my wall above my workspace so I could find inspiration and perhaps decide what to make with it. 

This fabric hung there long enough to get dusty and I finally decided that I just couldn't cut it up so I decided to make an 8" piano key border to frame it.  I finished the top and it eventually ended up in my UFO pile waiting patiently to become a real quilt.

I kept the backing and binding fabric with the quilt and this week I finally put it on my frame and quilted it.  I used an allover clamshell quilting pattern because I didn't want to detract from my Oriental Obsession fabric.  I finished the binding last night and I just took it out of the dryer.  I hope this may inspire others to pull those poor little UFOs that have been waiting for years.  Maybe this is the time that they get to become REAL quilts!

No comments:

Post a Comment