Monday, January 16, 2012

Sewing & Designing


I spent this past weekend at my sewing machine... so relaxing and fun... haven't done that for awhile and I'm getting back into the groove.  I worked on my Bali Wedding Star by Judy Niemeyer.  I am so excited!  I decided to make the queen size quilt and it will measure 104" x 104" when it's finished.  I took a class at This is Sew Broadway in Crookston, MN.  Catherine Erickson, a Judy Niemeyer certified instructor taught the class.  I'm certain that my success with this project lies in the help and support provided there.

This quilt is not for the faint of heart, although once you master the technique, it isn't as complicated as it looks.  It is paper-pieced so the points are all perfect and it comes down to finishing the elements and then assembling the parts.

I am so excited!!!  I only have 72 more melon points left to paper piece and then I can start assembling my blocks.  I'll take a few pics of the different parts and post them tomorrow so you have an idea of what I'm talking about.


I also spent some time with my EQ7 software this weekend.  Virtual quilting is so much fun.  The quilt pictured above measures 81 inches square and took me just about an hour to make -- on my computer that it is.  I picked out four of my favorite blocks -- Bear Paws, Old Maid's Puzzle, Crossroads and Variable Stars.  I personally like the symmetrical look but you could actually arrange the blocks any which way.  I used Jo Morton's Civil War Reproduction fabrics to color the blocks and here is the result.  I know it will take more than an hour to actually make the quilt... it will take me much more than an hour to write the pattern, but I think that will be my next project.  I call this quilt Four Block Wonder because it looks a lot more complex than it really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment